Precinct Election Officer
There are no scheduled Elections in 2017
The Madison County Board of Election is always looking for registered voters to assist in conducting elections. An Election Officer is a very important person who works at the polling location on Election Day. Their number one priority is to ensure that voting is conducted in a fair and orderly manner. Each Election officer is paid $25.00 for attending the mandatory training class and $125.00 for working the Election Day.
Please read the requirements below to see if you qualify to serve.
Requirements for being an Election Officer
1. An election officer must be a qualified Democrat or Republican voter in the precinct in which he/she serves unless appointed as an alternate. An alternate must be a registered voter in the county. Registered 17 year old may serve in the Primary Election if they will be 18 years old on or before the day of the General Election.
2. An election officer cannot have changed party affiliation for one year prior to appointment. (KRS 117.45 (9)
3. An election officer must be able to read and write English.
4. An election officer must attend training session required by the Madison County Board of Elections before each Primary or General Election.
5. An election officer cannot be a candidate for office during the election year.
6. An election officer cannot be the spouse, parent, brother, sister or child of a candidate who is to be voted for at the election in the precinct in which the election officer will serve on Election Day.
7. An election officer must be able to work from 5:15 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. or until the polls close, to stand for long periods of time and lift up to 25 pounds.
8. An election officer must have transportation to election training and to the precinct on Election Day.
Are you interested in becoming a precinct election officer?
If so, you must apply in one of the following ways before each and every election:
- Fill out the online form
- Call the Clerk's Office at 624-4703 #2
- Visit the Madison County Clerk's Office at 101 W. Main St., Richmond, Ky
- Fill out the online form
Apply to work as an Election Officer Click Here
Annually, Election Officers that have previously served will receive reminder letters to register to work the upcoming Election. These letters also contain valuable information about the mandatory training class, dates and times.
If your address has changed or you do not receive a letter, please call our office for further instructions. 624-4703 #2 Please retain this letter for future reference.
Location of Classes:
Madison County Extension Office
230 Duncannon Lane
Directions to the Election School:
Traveling in on I-75 from the North or South... Take Exit 83, the "Duncannon Lane" exit. From North, turn left off of the ramp. From the South, turn right off the ramp. This is Duncannon Lane. Drive approximately 3 miles. The Extension Office is located in a brick building on the left.
Coming from Richmond or Berea on US 25, Turn onto Duncannon Lane. Travel ¾ mile. The Extension Office is a brick building on the right.