What do I need to renew my registratio on my boat?
Boats are renewed annually starting April 1 of each year and are good for 13 months (April 1 to April 30 of the following year). The Transportation Cabinet typically mails the tax notices for boats (in postcard format) after March 15. Any and all property taxes due for an individual on a boat must be collected before any renewal can be completed.
Boat Trailers are renewed at different times depending on the status of the trailer:
- Trailers that are licensed are to be renewed in March;
- Trailers without a plate or title only trailers, will receive notice from the Transportation Cabinet in June. The tax will be due by July 31.
- If you bring in your trailer registration from the previous year, the clerk can collect the tax due at the same time you renew your boat.
To renew or pay taxes on your boat and/or trailer with the County Clerk, you will need:
- Previous years boat registration;
- Renewal notice mailed from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
If you have registered any other boat that may have property taxes due, those taxes must be collected before any other boat transaction can be processed.