To Obtain a Salvage Title
To apply for a salvage title you are required to bring the following items to the Motor Vehicle Dept.
▪ Kentucky certificate of title
▪ Current or Expired License plate to the vehicle
▪ a lien release if applicable (TC96-187)
▪ when purchasing a vehicle for the first time, 6% sales tax will be collected
▪ Fee of $9.00 for basic salvage title and 4-6 weeks to process or Fee of $25.00 for speed title and 3-5 Business days to process.
Changing a title over to salvage status means the vehicle cannot be on the road until it has been sent through rebuilt process. (See Rebuilt Title information)
Rebuilt Title Vehicle
To apply for a Rebuilt Title the following paper work is required
▪ The KY salvage title
▪ Personal identification (driver’s license, military id, passport, state ID)
▪ Sheriffs inspection, contact the sheriff’s office at 859-623-1511
▪ Kentucky affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled from wrecked or salvages motor vehicles TC96-215 Form
▪ Labor statement of work performed
▪ Receipts/invoices of new or used parts
Bring the documentation to the Madison County Clerk’s Office (Motor Vehicle Department) or if you choose to hand deliver your documentation to the transportation cabinet you will go to:
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
200 Mero St.
Frankfort, KY 40622
Drop-off Pick-up schedule:
Applications are to be made between 8am and 4pm. Pick-ups are to be made between 11 am and 4 pm
Monday drop-offs can be picked up the following Monday.
Thursday drop-offs can be picked up the following Thursday.
Drop-off mail schedule:
Monday-Friday, 8am to 4pm