Titling a Vehicle When You Move To Kentucky
A person who is bringing a vehicle from another state is required to title the vehicle within 15 days. The following documents & information are required:
- Out of state title (Photo Copy is not acceptable)
- Sheriffs inspection Form TC96-182 (see download below)
- A copy of the title is required for the Sheriffs inspection
- The Sheriff's department located in the basement of the Madison County Annex building)
- Proof of sales/usage that was paid from the previous state. Examples could include one of the following:
- Tax shown on certificate of title
- Dealer purchase contract
- Financing statement from lender
- Receipt or letter from tax agency
- If proof of sales tax is not available, presumed credit will be given
- Proof of KY insurance card on the vehicle being registered with EFFECTIVE date being NO LATER than 45 days of transfer
- A Title that contain AND or has NO connector between the owners, both parties’ signatures are required.
- Proof of identification is required
When your title is held by a lien holder/finance company, we have a letter we will send to your lien holder requesting them to send us the out of state title. We will contact the customer when we receive your out of state title.
The information required for the request is:
The state of KY can issue one temporary tag with KY proof of insurance on an out of state vehicle coming into the state of KY. The cost of a temporary tag is 2.00 and it expires in 30 days from the date of issue.
The KY title will be mailed to the owner from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Title Branch. Expect the title in about 4-6 Weeks
Purchasing a Vehicle From Out Of State
Out of State title signed by the seller and notarized if applicable. See the link below.
TC 96-182 signed and notarized by the seller for the sales price amount. (Download below) Highlighted areas on example below, must be filled out. Without this form signed and notarized by seller the buyer will be charged 6% sales tax based on high retail according to NADA instead of purchase price.
Sherriff’s inspection (Located in the basement of the Madison County Annex) 859-623-1511
Click here for a list of States that do and do not require a Notary
Click Here for Example of TC 96-182