Titling a New Vehicle
The following documents and information are required:
• Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MSO/C of O)
• Sheriff’s Inspection on the Kentucky Application for Certificate of Title (TC96-182)form. If new car is purchased from a Kentucky Dealer a Sheriff's inspection is not required.
• Kentucky proof of Insurance card on the vehicle being purchased effective within 45 days of transfer.
• Driver’s License or other form of legal picture ID
• Social Security Card, KY Driver's License, or FEIN number
• Proof of Lien-Holder if a Lien is to be filed. Title Lien Statement TC96-187 form completed by dealership and signed by the buyer.
The seller will need to sign and have notarized the Affidavit of Purchase Price (TC96-182) form, and write in the purchase price of the vehicle.
The Clerk’s Office will accept a fax of the TC96-182 form that has been signed and notarized by the seller if it has not already been provided. The Motor Vehicle Licensing Fax number is: 1-859-624-8474.
Kentucky’s sales tax rate is 6% and will be collected at the time of titling and registration of the new vehicle along with $9.00 title fee, $21.00 per year based on customer's birth month.
Lien fee of $22.00 or $24.00 will be applied when applicable.