Land Records FAQ
Please pardon our mess as we work to make our site better. You may find broken links, please be patient with us.
Toggle Bar

deedroom header

 Land Records FAQ


Q: Are you closed for lunch?

A: No. We have staff available, at both of our locations, to assist customers from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Q: Will you fax a copy to me?

A: Yes. It is $1.00 per page to fax a document.


Q: Can I obtain the book and page number of a document over the phone?

A: No. We do not give recording information over the phone.


Q: How can I get the book and page number of a document?

A: You may come in to the office to request the information or you may mail in a request along with payment for a copy of a specific document.


Q: Do you have marriage licenses for other counties?

A: No. Each county is responsible for their marriage records. It wasn't until June 1958 that the Vital Statistics Office began centrally storing records for every county.


Q: How do I get a copy of a divorce decree?

A: Divorce records can be found in the Family Court Division of Circuit Court where the divorce was granted. For a divorce filed in Madison County contact them at (859) 625-5524.


Q: Does the Madison County Clerk's Office have a list of foreclosures?

A: No. The Master Commissioner's Office is responsible for the properties that are going to be auctioned. Please contact the Master Commissioner David Baird at (859) 623-8641.


Q: Where/How do you transfer a mobile home?

A: Mobile homes are titled like vehicles. Mobile home transfers are completed in the Motor Vehicle Department of the Madison County Clerk's office.


Q: How do I find out how much I paid in real estate taxes last year?

A: The Madison County Sheriff collects the current year tax bills. Contact the Madison County Sheriff at (859) 623-1511 or online at If the tax bill was delinquent (paid after April 16th), contact our office at (859) 624-4703 #2.


Q: Who do I contact if I feel that my property tax assessment is incorrect or I want to claim a homestead or disability exemption?

A: The Madison County Property Valuation Office is in charge of property assessments. Contact the PVA at (859) 623-5410 or


Q: Will your office help me prepare my documents or do you have blank forms?

A: The Madison County Clerk's Office cannot help you prepare any document nor do we have blank forms. The documents that are brought here for recording must be completely filled out prior to recording.


Q: Do you record a health care power of attorney or living will?

A: No. There is no statutory authority for us to record either of those documents and there is an Attorney General's opinion that instructs us not to record them.


Q: When will you hold the annual tax sale?

A: Go to to see the schedule of all the Kentucky counties' tax sales.



2014 kbarger profilev2A native of Richmond, Kentucky, Clerk Kenny Barger graduated from Madison Central High School and also attended Eastern Kentucky University.  Prior to his election in 2010, Clerk Kenny Barger worked in his family’s business, Barger’s Towing and Recovery, and as Manager at Mikron Industries, Inc., both located in Richmond, Kentucky. 

Current Term: 2015 - 2018
First Elected: 2010



Our Locations:

Richmond Location:

101 W Main Street

Richmond, KY 40475

Berea Location:

304 Chestnut Street

Berea, KY 40403

Hours of Operation for All Locations:

Mon. to Fri. 8am to 4:30pm