Marriage License FAQ
Please pardon our mess as we work to make our site better. You may find broken links, please be patient with us.
Toggle Bar

electioncenter header2017

Election Center Contact

Physical Location:
Madison County Courthouse
1st Floor - Election Center
Richmond, KY 40475

Contact Numbers:
(Phone) 859-624-4703 Option 2
(Fax) 859-624-4954

Office Hours: M-F 8:00AM - 4:30PM

Marriage License FAQ

Q: Do I need to make an appointment to get a marriage license?

A: No. We are open in both Richmond and Berea, Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Q: Do you need a Kentucky ID to get a Marriage License?

A: We accept any government issued picture ID.

Q: Do ministers need to be bonded?  

A: No. The law that required this was repealed in 1994.

Q: If we are getting married in another state, where can we get the license?

A: You need to get the license in the state where you are getting married. The license we issue must be used in the state of Kentucky, within 30 days.

Q: We got married out of the country; do we need to register the marriage license in your office?

A: No. The country where you got married should send you it's official license. The Madison County Clerk's office only records licenses that it issues.

Q: How do I change my name after I get married?

A: You will need to take the certified marriage license that we mail to you to the social security office. The Richmond Office is located at 1060 Gibson Bay Dr. For more information click here.


Q: How do I obtain a certified copy of my Marriage License?

A: Come by either Clerk's Offices and request a copy.  Photocopy is .25cents and a Certified copy is $5.00  * If you are out of town, please send a written request, including both names and and maiden names.  Attach a check for $5.00

Q: Do I have to change my name?

A: No, but you still need to inform the social security office of your marital status.

Q: Where do I obtain copies of divorce records?

A: At the Family Court Division of Circuit Court on 1st Street, located in Richmond.  The phone number to Family Court is: 859-625-5524

Q: Do I need to bring my divorce papers?

A: No. You need to bring your government issued picture ID.

Q: Do both parties need to be present to obtain the marriage license?

A: Yes.  Both parties must be present to purchase the marriage license.

2014 kbarger profilev2A native of Richmond, Kentucky, Clerk Kenny Barger graduated from Madison Central High School and also attended Eastern Kentucky University.  Prior to his election in 2010, Clerk Kenny Barger worked in his family’s business, Barger’s Towing and Recovery, and as Manager at Mikron Industries, Inc., both located in Richmond, Kentucky. 

Current Term: 2015 - 2018
First Elected: 2010



Our Locations:

Richmond Location:

101 W Main Street

Richmond, KY 40475

Berea Location:

304 Chestnut Street

Berea, KY 40403

Hours of Operation for All Locations:

Mon. to Fri. 8am to 4:30pm