Voter FAQ
Please pardon our mess as we work to make our site better. You may find broken links, please be patient with us.
Toggle Bar

electioncenter header2017

Election Center Contact

Physical Location:
Madison County Courthouse
1st Floor - Election Center
Richmond, KY 40475

Contact Numbers:
(Phone) 859-624-4703 Option 2
(Fax) 859-624-4954

Office Hours: M-F 8:00AM - 4:30PM


Voter FAQ



Q: Why does voter registration need my social security number?

A: In Kentucky your voter registration number is your social security number.


Q: If I have a driver's license am I automatically registered to vote?

A: Not necessarily. You have the opportunity to register to vote when you visit the driver's license office, but you will only be registered if you fill out and sign a registration card.


Q: Will I receive a voter registration ID card when I register to vote?

A: We do not issue voter registration ID cards. You will receive a confirmation post card in the mail shortly after you register or change your address. This card will confirm your new precinct information and list your voting location.


Q: Do I need to take anything with me when I go to the polls?

A: You will need to show identification before voting. Kentucky law requires one of the following forms of identification:

accepted forms of ID


Q: I am a student. Do I vote here or in my home county?

A: Students have the choice to stay registered in their home county or to register in the county where they are attending school.


Q: How often do I need to re-register?

A: You do not need to re-register unless you move out of the county/state and then return. Voting regularly will keep your registration active.


Q: What should I do if I change my name?

A: You will have to fill out and sign a new voter registration card. You may do this by mail or in person at either the county clerk's office or the driver's license office. If you are granted a legal name change by the courts, you may have to provide a copy of the name change document.


Q: Are seventeen year olds eligible to vote?

A: Seventeen year olds may register and vote in Primary Elections as long as they will be eighteen by the date of the next General Election.


Q: I previously had a felony conviction. Can I still register to vote?

A: Convicted felons must have their voting rights restored before they can register to vote. You may contact your local parole office or go to to obtain an application for Restoration of Civil Rights.


Q: What should I do if I move?

A: Moves within Madison County: Update your address with the county clerk in person or in writing, or change your address at the driver's license office. If you have not done this before Election Day you may still cast your ballot.  However, you must go to the voting precinct that serves your new address on Election Day to vote and update your registration address at that time.

Moves outside of Madison County: Registration books close 28 days before each election. If you move to another Kentucky county you must register in your new county before the books close in order to be eligible to vote. If you move during the 28 day period that the books are closed, you may return to your previous county to vote in that one election only. You will need to change your registration to your new county as soon as the registration books reopen.


Q: How do I change my party affiliation?

A: You may change your party affiliation at any time; however, you must change your affiliation between the Primary Election and December 31st of the current year in order to be eligible to vote in your new party's next Primary Election. If you change your affiliation between January 1st and the Primary Election, you will only be able to vote in the Nonpartisan Primary races.


Q: If I am not registered as a Democrat or a Republican may I vote for any Democrat or Republican candidates of my choice in the May Primary?

A: No. If you are registered with a political group or organization, or as an Independent, you cannot vote in any of the partisan races, but you may vote in all Nonpartisan Primary races. The nonpartisan offices include Richmond and Berea Mayoral, City Commissioners and Councilmen, School Board, Soil and Water Conservation, and all judicial offices. In the GENERAL Election in November you may vote for any candidates of your choice regardless of party affiliation.


Q: What hours are the polls open? Can I go to a precinct near my office instead of the one where I live?

A: The polls are open from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. You MUST be in line by 6:00 pm in order to vote. All voters must vote in the precinct that serves their current residential address.


Q: Is voter registration proof of residency?

A. No. Your voter registration information only proves the date you registered to vote in the county.


Q: When I register to vote in Madison County does that automatically delete me from the voter registration elsewhere?

A: If you were registered in another county in Kentucky, you will automatically be deleted from your previous county. If you were registered in another state, you will need to contact that state to be deleted from their voter registration.


Q: I am moving out of the state and want to register in a new state. How can I be removed from the voter registration in Madison County?

A: Make your request to be removed from the Madison County voter registration, in writing to the county clerk's office.


Q: What if I need assistance at the polls?

A: Voters who qualify for assistance at the polls may be assisted by anyone of their choice; except their employer, agent of their employer, union head, or agent of their union. If the voter does not bring anyone with them, two election officers (one from each party) must assist the voter. The following people may receive assistance at the polls:

1. Voters who cannot operate the machine due to a physical disability
2. Voters who are blind or visually impaired
3. Voters who are unable to read English


Q: What if I can't get to the polls on Election Day?

A: Some voters qualify to vote by absentee ballot either in person at the county clerk's office or by mail. You may review the "Absentee Voting Requirements" section on this website or call the voter registration office for more information 624-4703 #2.






Elections Calendar

No events found

2014 kbarger profilev2A native of Richmond, Kentucky, Clerk Kenny Barger graduated from Madison Central High School and also attended Eastern Kentucky University.  Prior to his election in 2010, Clerk Kenny Barger worked in his family’s business, Barger’s Towing and Recovery, and as Manager at Mikron Industries, Inc., both located in Richmond, Kentucky. 

Current Term: 2015 - 2018
First Elected: 2010



Our Locations:

Richmond Location:

101 W Main Street

Richmond, KY 40475

Berea Location:

304 Chestnut Street

Berea, KY 40403

Hours of Operation for All Locations:

Mon. to Fri. 8am to 4:30pm