Boat Transfers
Please pardon our mess as we work to make our site better. You may find broken links, please be patient with us.
Toggle Bar


What do I need to do to get my KY boat transferred?


Boats Titled in Your Name

You will need:

        • The Kentucky Certificate of Title signed by the seller.
        • Photo identification is required for all transfers, valid forms are: driver's license, State issued I D, Military I D, or passport.
        • Social Security or Federal identification number is required on all individuals that are to be placed on a title (no more than two individuals may be placed on a title).


Boat Trailer: 

The state in which the boat trailer is currently titled determines whether the boat trailer has a title or registration card separate from the boat. The trailer title or registration card must be signed and notarized by the seller to register the trailer to a Kentucky title.

If you have purchased an out of state or Kentucky Titled boat and the seller has no title or registration, please contact the clerk’s office so that we can advise you of the steps to take to title and register the boat in Kentucky.


        • Transfer fee is $18.00
        • Lien filing fee if applicable: $22.00 - $24.00

If you have registered any other boat that may have property taxes due, those taxes must be collected before any other boat transaction can be processed.


Example of TC 96-184: (Information Required)



How do I title and register my new boat?

Kentucky requires all application for titles be made within 15 days of purchase of any motor vehicle or boat.
To title and register a boat, the following documentation is needed:

        • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
        • Application for Title and Registration Form TC96-184
        • Purchase order from the Dealership
        • Proof of Sale/Use Tax paid to the dealer
        • Picture Identification
        • Social Security Number
TC 96-184  

How will the tax be calculated?

A 6% Kentucky use tax is collected on the sale price of the boat. Credit is given for sales or use tax paid to a dealer.

Example of TC 96-184 (Information needed)



I have purchased a boat that has an out of state title.  How can I get my boat registered in KY?

You will need:

        • Out of State Title if applicable.
        • Application for Title and Registration (TC96-184)
        • Proof of sales/use tax paid to the dealer
        • Picture identification (ie) Drivers License, State Issued ID, Passport, or Military I D.
        • Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for each new owner(s) appearing on the title or Federal Tax ID Number for companies. Limit of two individuals or businesses.
        • How will Use Tax be calculated?  A 6% Kentucky usage tax is collected on the sale price if purchased from an out of state dealer only. Credit is given for sales or use tax paid to a dealer.
        • When purchased from an out of state dealer:
          • If sales tax has been collected by the dealer, customer must submit proof of taxes paid to receive credit.


        • Transfer fee is $18.00
        • Lien filing fee if applicable: $22.00 - $24.00
        • Sales tax if applicable





2014 kbarger profilev2A native of Richmond, Kentucky, Clerk Kenny Barger graduated from Madison Central High School and also attended Eastern Kentucky University.  Prior to his election in 2010, Clerk Kenny Barger worked in his family’s business, Barger’s Towing and Recovery, and as Manager at Mikron Industries, Inc., both located in Richmond, Kentucky. 

Current Term: 2015 - 2018
First Elected: 2010



Our Locations:

Richmond Location:

101 W Main Street

Richmond, KY 40475

Berea Location:

304 Chestnut Street

Berea, KY 40403

Hours of Operation for All Locations:

Mon. to Fri. 8am to 4:30pm